Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Why write about everyday life in Israel?

Israel is almost daily featuring in the news. As a European who has been living in Israel for several decades now, every time I come to visit my relatives and my friends in Europe, I realize how little they know about REAL life in Israel. So time has come for me to tell people a little about life here in Israel through my personal and humble perspective.

What do people outside Israel mostly think of at first, when talking about Israel? The middle eastern conflict between Palestinians and Israelis, of course. Well, enough has been written about the conflict and about the war. I shall not even attempt to tell you about the conflicts and their reasons.

What I want to focus on is the little things of everyday life, the casual, regular encounters, blissful moments, whatever is part of regular everyday life as I see it. I hope that this may outbalance somewhat the imbalanced and very partial pictures you see in the news spots.

The first theme I shall talk about in my coming posts is food - food as a place where cultures meet and mingle.

No comments:

Post a Comment